Monday 10 December 2007

An Addendum about plastic bags...

When I wrote above that stopping using plastic bags makes little difference, I meant to climate change as a whole. It does, however, have a significant impact on the ecosystem. Plastic bags drift into the oceans where they are consumed by sea and bird life. We eat them, they decompose, plastic particles move into the food chain, and that's a big problem.

What I was moaning about was that, while this is a worthwhile movement, I'd love it if these same people also poured their energy into cutting carbon emissions, stopping flying, turning down heating, lobbying businesses to switch off their heating and lights and computers at night. Not instead of banning plastic bags, but IN ADDITION TO...

And if anyone wants to help, next year, I hope to start a campaign to ban the bags from Devizes...

Right now, I'm off shopping....

No comments: