Monday 11 February 2008

Not Shopping List

Last weekend I did not buy:
1 pair of Light-Up tweezers @ £2.99
1 FM radio pedometer @ £7.99 (reduced from £15.99)
1 tag-along bike @ £84.99
1 Brompton folding bike @ £224.99 (eBay)
and probably a whole spring 'capsule wardrobe' today.

I am not one of nature's economisers. Indeed, economy wasn't my primary motivation in Not Shopping - though it is a more than welcome side effect. I have just, however, compared my credit card bills for January this year and last to discover - to my horror and pride - that I didn't spend nearly £2,000 last month through Not Shopping. I feel sick at the thought of what I've been pissing gaily away.

At this rate, we'll have saved a Toyota Prius by the end of the year. Or a six-month sabbatical. A year and a half of school fees. A lifetime of income for a family of Kenyans.

No comments: