Sunday 27 January 2008

Is it fair to be green?

I try not to judge my friends and family for their behaviour. But it's impossible. I don't want to be smug and censorious, but I can't help recoiling at their wanton disregard for their effect on the planet. Or is it simple jealousy? My sister rang up the other day to ask for my best friend's phone number in Venice, as she thought she might fly off there with a friend next weekend. That was after Switzerland this weekend. It suddenly seemed so unfair. I'm not going to benefit from my virtuosity - nor, really, is anyone else.
She knows what's happening - and the effect of her actions. It doesn't bother her. So why should it bother me?
My parents think it's criminal not to fly on private jets as often as they possibly can. They fill their house with flowers flown in from Bali, and keep it at all times at a temperature guaranteed to make an orchid sweat. They think we're mad for not flying, eschewing fish and winter blueberries. Perhaps they're right?
My children are probably not going to see India or Brazil or Bali - places that would have opened their minds. They're not going to learn to ski. Is that fair? Is it fair that they aren't allowed mangoes for breakfast?

No comments: