Saturday 5 January 2008

A short note on low energy lightbulbs

I've just listened to a news scare; 'Shock, horror! Low energy lightbulbs may be hazardous to your health.' Apparently there are two problems: sensitive skin can be irritated by something to do with the quality of the light (not to mention washing powder, soap, cosmetics, air...), and the light bulbs contain a tiny bit of mercury. I remember my mother breaking thermometres when I was a child, so we could play with that miraculous molten bulb.

I can just see the anti-MMR, anti-mobile phone, anti-wifi, anti-antiperspirant, anti-pathetic crew adding low energy lightbulbs to their anti-list. God help us.

10/1/08: Apparently, the problem is mercury in our landfill. Not great, I agree, but apparently only the equivalent of that found in two tins of tuna, which we - well, not exactly we - actually eat.

No comments: