Monday 7 January 2008

The joys of not shopping

One week down - and I'm surprising myself by how much fun I'm finding it (I know - one week - so what; wait until the weather changes and the summer clothes start hitting the shop windows...).
But, after those first couple of days, when it dawned on me how ingrained a habit shopping is for me, I've actually began to relish not doing it. Particularly the no supermarkets aspect. All it needed was a leap of imagination: I persuaded myself that there was no such thing as Sainsburys. Easy. I get my fruit and veg from the market, and most of the rest from the farm shop which we are lucky to have in the village. If I can't find what I want - today it was creme fraiche - I simply change the menu. So the kids had leftover beef and rice, instead of fajitas. No problem. Maybe it all costs a bit more, but I'm saving such a fortune on unneeded clothes/creams/stationery that the extra whack to my wallet is pretty marginal. And actually, I think I probably buy less food that I don't want. Certainly the inside of the fridge is beginning to look rather streamline: no forgotten yoghurts languishing on the top shelf, no mouldy Gu chocolate puddings at the back, or rancid red peppers in the veg drawer. I'm a tiny tiptoe along the route to austerity - in relative terms, anyway.
I wish I had the same control over chocolate.

No comments: